This oil on canvas was painted by W. Crossley of whom little is known although his art often appears at auction. Working in the second half of the 19th century he painted in a loose, atmospheric style often depicting coastal scenes and the lives of fishermen.
The 37 foot lifeboat was called the “William and Frances” and may have been launched in Bridlington.
The painting was donated in 1937 by Blackburn born Annie Clegg who had moved with her husband, Edward, to Park Road, St Annes on Sea.
For further information about this painting and others in the Collection please see www.lythamstannesartcollection.org