The Village Postman
The artist, Alfred Augustus Glendening Jnr (1861 – 1907), painted this oil on canvas. Born in Greenwich he was taught by his father, Alfred Augustus Glendening Snr, and like him, was a landscape and genre painter in oils and watercolour.
He exhibited at the Royal Academy and Suffolk Street and was very popular at the time. In later life he earned extra income by becoming a theatrical scenery painter.
The painting was donated in 1944 by Worsley born Johnson Jackson, a Bolton quarry owner, who retired to the Fylde.