Gillett’s ‘Cross Slack Farm, St Annes on Sea, painted in watercolour by local artist Walter Eastwood, was located adjacent to the Old Links Club House and was home to the Gillett family from 1869.
George Gillett had a railway crossing named after him. Gillett’s Crossing was opened in 1913 on the Fylde Coast railway line and closed in 1949.
The farm was demolished in 1963 and was the last of the old cobbled and thatched homesteads in Lytham St Annes.
The painting was donated in 1955 by Helen Crowley Davis nee Smethurst (1901-1983). Born in Ashton Under Lynne she moved with her parents to the Fylde coast later marrying a bank clerk, Kenneth Douglas Cornelius Davis, the son of the minister of the Baptist Church in Ansdell.
For further information please see the online catalogue. www.lythamstannesartcollection.org