The Grundy Art Gallery in Blackpool is commemorating its 110th Anniversary this year. The Gallery was originally built to display paintings donated to the town by brothers John and Cuthbert Grundy.
The Grundy’s collection is now displayed as part of the temporary exhibitions programme, though is not on permanent display.
It is understood that The Grundy has a whole calendar of events ready for people to enjoy this year, in spite of the difficulties that Covid-19 present. We wish them luck, and hope to be able to visit the gallery very soon.
In 1945 Cuthbert Grundy donated one of his own paintings, ‘Coming Rain’ an oil on canvas, to the Lytham St Annes Art Collection.
Since the mid 1920s there had been a wish to have a Gallery in St Annes to display the accumulating artwork. As late as 1956 Council minutes show that the proposal was still being discussed. The then Borough Surveyor was asked to prepare sketch plans for proposed Dawson Art Gallery, in Kings Road. As we know this was not built. Such a pity.